Saturday, August 05, 2006

Crozes Hermitage - 2003

 
This is my first Crozes Hermitage. After opening this bottle I poured myself a small sample and swirled it around and then put my nose in the glass. The smell of this wine was fantastic. Reminded me immediately of the Provence, of wines like the Vacqueyras. It has the same woody smell, and also what comes to my mind is that I can really just smell the warm southern french climate in this wine. Sandy dry land with lavender bushes and rosemary. No, you can't smell exactly those notes, but it just smells as if you'd open the bottle in the Provence in a cafe outside on a terrace. I enjoyed the smell of this wine so much, I was not even is such a great rush to taste it. The colour is rather light, which you could already make out before you opened the bottle. The taste was then, compared to the other Cotes du Rhone, rather weak, but none the less fruity and aromatic. You can't really compare it to the traditional Cotes du Rhones, this is much more light and refined and easy drinking, if you like. It is medium bodied rather than full, and can be enjoyed on its own or with some light cheeses or crackers. I am eating Lancashire cheese with it, and while the cheese is relatively mild, it is already almost overpowering the wine. I think strong cheeses would kill it. Bottom line, I love this wine, and I sniff before every gulp.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home