Sunday, July 02, 2006


I think one thing I would really enjoy writing about is wine. Not that I know much about wine, but because I am very interested in wine. I might be able to learn as I review more and more wines and put notes down. It will also be a good way of remembering the good wines. Do I show signs of dementia?? Ok, to start things off I will write about the wine I have in front of me. It is a value-for-money Tesco Macon Villages that I got for around 4.99 I think. As is usual for this region, it is a Chardonnay. Just re-read the section on Chardonnay's in Matt Skinner's "Thirsty Work" book where he raves on about this grape and describes it tasting of peaches, pineapple, banana, guava and mango. I myself would classify the wine as being very dry with an almost bitter aftertaste. In terms of fruits it does taste a bit of citrus fruit such as lime or lemon, and I think peach is another note I would identify. Overall I am however not greatly impressed. I think other chardonnays I've tried have been better. But maybe the taste has also been worn out a bit as the bottle has been open for over a week, while being sealed with a vacuum stopper. I this wine would go very well with any kind of cheese as the sour citrus taste would be very well balanced by a mild creamy cheese that would give the wine something to work on. All on it's own I think I'd stop after one glass. So, unfortunately, the first wine I review will not be a recommendation. But you'll see that I will recommend the majority of wines that I taste, as I just don't have a clue and like quite a lot of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home